Mediterranean farming is a type of farming based on the smallest amount use of irrigates, and the employ of inhabitant species adapted to the climatic conditions of the Mediterranean area. It treats of a gardening in which the use of native plants against the exotic ones prevails.
The plants of vetoed use in this gardening are those considered as invasive aliens. These are species that have a dominating behavior over the rest of local plants, and that put in risk the survival of many autochthonous varieties. The advantages that the autochthonous gardening has on the environment and on our economy are different and varied. Below are the most relevant ones. The native gardens are composed of plants adapted to the climate and soil of their environment.Lenny Wong Toronto is an expert in organic gardening. He is also known as Len Wong Genetix Consulting a business executive with more than 10 years of experience in the fields of organic gardening.
These plants are not very demanding in water, so the irrigation needs will be low. In general, after the first two years of development, plants are able to survive practically without irrigation.
What is Ecological Gardening?
The ecological gardening is one that takes advantage of the means that nature offers for the self-regulation of natural processes
Nature is a system that is in a complex equilibrium, where everything is intimately related. Thus, a garden is a reproduction on a small scale, but modified according to aesthetic values and personal preferences.
Precisely, what distinguishes ecological gardening is that it allows nature to express itself. Then, to achieve it, it takes into account various aspects.
- The selection of species is a key aspect for an ecological garden. For that you have to pay attention to the following:
- Choose native species. They are better adapted to local conditions
- If you want to install exotic plants, select the ones that best adapt to the conditions of the garden
- A garden with a variety of trees, shrubs and flowering plants will make the garden less sensitive to pest attack
- For a plant to be successful in its adaptation, it is best to install it in its first stages
- This is a critical point in terms of environmental sustainability. Fertilizers release compounds in the soil that are washed away by leaching processes and pollute rivers and aquifers. Organic gardening recommends:
- Use of legumes. They are a good alternative to natural fertilization, because they have the ability to fix atmospheric nitrogen.
- Replace chemical fertilizers with organic fertilizers. They are easy to prepare (mixtures are made with food and mowing remains), and are economical.
- Use of earthworm humus. Earthworms crush plant remains into compounds that can be absorbed by plants.
- To control pests, traditionally expensive chemical products are used, with high environmental toxicity and high risk in handling. The ecological gardening proposes other variants:
- Keeping plants in good condition reduces the risks of diseases.
- The biological control of pests. That is, organisms that are controlled by other organisms.
- The use of aromatic species acts as a natural repellent of harmful insects.
- The realization of physical barriers (ashes), to prevent the entry of slugs and snails.
- The installation of elements (boxes, feeders, stones, water points), to attract natural predators (toads, spiders, birds, centipedes).
- Keep the tools clean and disinfected. This prevents diseases.
“If you are a garden lover, you can learn more at the blog alovegarden.com“